Skip to main content
Topic: This looks good (Read 51 times) previous topic - next topic
  • services

This looks good

Well done Andrew.  This looks good and a lot cheaper than £300 for Website toolbox.

Can the Forum name be changed to something that would incorporate Beckenham and West Wichham  (eg West Beck Park Rotary Forum) - should they wish to join and get involved of course.  The main idea is to encourage Rotary Friends to help us at the more physical events and to build a group of useful non-members who we might call upon to help from time to time. 

Can you make me an Administrator please so that I can Approve others who wish to join.   I would like to send it to Stuart R. and Nolene before I meet them tomorrow.

Rod

• cebab54

Re: This looks good

Reply #1
Hi Rod

Thank you.  Yes it looks very flexible.

The first thing to do is to make sure that it does all we want it to do.

Not sure about a combination name for three clubs, let alone nine!

Suggest as I say it is simple but unrelated to any particular club!

So a name that relates to 'new rotary'

I think we may find that the membership is much wider than local clubs if it takes off.  The issue will be how the forum is set up and this needs to be thought about so that it is non-exclusive.  So a flat structure will be important.

I think that if we want to encourage a wide interest in and out of rotary, all members of the forum should be considered equal, whether they are Rotarians or Volunteers, businesses, etc. 

In my opinion, the problem with Rotary these days is a lack of understanding of how younger people think and or want to get involved.  It is a generation gap and one that will eventually kill off Rotary.

This is truly an opportunity to reconsider how Rotary should and could work in the 21st century.  Indeed rather than persist with the tried and tested, we should be experimenting with completely new and radical ideas.  Like many other organisations, rotary needs a rethink to attract and be embraced by a new younger membership

As part of the District Membership team this idea interests me greatly.  Because unless something different is done, rotary is rapidly going where Round Table went 20 years ago, and the parallels are already frighteningly similar!

Finally, and although the forum is presently setup as a subdomain of langleyparkrotary.uk, we need to consider a new website domain address that is rather less area driven.  A bit more like an itv company name than based upon a placename.

Hope that makes sense?

Andrew

• LP-Rod

Reply #2
Yes - some very good and well considered points there Andrew.  Thanks for giving me access as an Adminsitrator.  I will have a good look at the set up over the next few days.  Exciting stuff.

Rod

• LP-Rod

Reply #3
Andrew
A new domain name would be good.  Do you want me to look for one or will you?   Something like Rotary_E_Forum so that we adopt your suggestion that the domain does not refer to a geographical area.

I think that the Theme is OK as Standard.  I will start to add a few categories.  Stuart R will meet with the DG and the Presidents of 9 local Clubs on Thursday 26th July so it would be useful to be able to show them this Pilot Forum; also our own Club through the Secretary.

Rod